Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dhabas

Administrator

Dhabas

Post & discuss about the Indian Dhabas e.g. what you like or dislike in dhabas, food & hygiene at dhabas, etc. Post link or Upload pictures/videos of any favourite dhaba of yours.

Re: Dhabas

Very nice thread added by TruckaurBus. Not only truck drivers visit the dhabas but people in cars also visit them. i would like to share some info on dhaba. Now we Indians know what dhaba is, but what about any foreigner who has first time visited India.
    1. what is a dhaba. Dhaba is the name given to roadside restaurants in India. They are situated on highways and generally serve local cuisine, and also serve as truck stops.
    2. How does a dhaba look like. A typical dhaba looks like a temporary building, with lots of parking space in front. Seating arrangement starts from Khatiyas/Charpai (a handwoven bed made of wood) to Dining table-chairs. the road facing kitchen with big chulhas (stoves made up of mud) and bartans (utensils). At night you'll see the dhaba glowing with decorative light bulbs.

Attachment 35

3. Types of Cuisine in dhabas. Generally the dhabas serve the local cuisine of the state they are situated in. But in India, the dhabas keep mainly punjabi cuisine, as the truck drivers prefer to eat only punjabi dishes like chhole bhature, paneer tikka masala, rajma chawal, etc.

4. Atmosphere of a dhaba. Starting from the Chotu's (local name for waiters) who fluently tells the customer about the menu available, to the Rasoiya (local name for Chef) who is busy in cooking the orders to the Setji (Manager) who shouts orders to its staff, everyone is fully dedicated to his work. You will no one staff is sitting idle for a minute or two.

Another important thing I noted that Indian truck drivers stop at noon in these dhabas then eat and rest till evening and again start driving at night. So the noon to night is the peak hour of business for these dhabas.

Attachment 36

So, I've tried to include everything I saw in a dhaba, but let me know if i missed something.

Very well explained.

[email protected] I love the Dhabas of NH1 the most